Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 2, Missoula to Butte. 135 mi

What a very nice day! I felt good this morning--the various supplements and massage really did the trick, and I began the ride this morning feeling quite at ease. Mapping -- we left Missoula on 200, turned on 210, got on I90 for 17 miles, then took MT1 the rest of the way. We rode through lovely and dramatic river valley, then a long shallow climb into a headwind took us to lunch. After lunch we had our first real climb of the trip, about 1500 ft up to Georgetown Lake, then a Loooong 35 mph+ descent through Anaconda. That was a blast, particularly after slogging through the morning. But Anaconda was quite a sight! The town is surrounded by slag heaps 200+ ft high, some of which are greened but many of which are not. It makes all of those hydraulic mining remains in the lower Sierra look inoffensive. (It really made me want to see the hole, but that was not visible from the road.) The last SAG was at the bottom of the descent. I got in shortly after the first group, and it was a gas watching all these smiling faces come in. We then cruised in the last 20 miles on mostly side roads, punctuated by 5 more miles on I90. Riding on the interstate--- Not so bad! Wide shoulders, good separation, good visibility. Easy to see the junk to avoid on the road, mostly tire pieces. Better than massive logging trucks a foot from your head, like yesterday. Oh, did I forget to mention that? Oops.

My pattern of riding is coming into view. I'll end up spending about half my time alone and half in groups. Iusually roll out alone, the serially hook up with the fsst groups as they go by. I drop out for 3 reasons: 1. I don't want to maintain the concentration needed to ride in a group. 2. I can't match the pace--they are too fast, or I can't find the right gear to stay with them, or they go uphill faster than me. 3. A nature break.

So, as a day unfolds, I slip backwards. Now, I'm faster at the controls than a group is, so I sometimes have the option of rejoining. And on a day like today, which has terrain I do well in, I stay toward the front of the bunch. Riding in groups is a varied experience. Some are serious, some at ease--some quiet, some gabby, some friendly, some competitive. Over the next 2 weeks I'll have a chance to ride with most of them.

No comments: