Monday, August 4, 2008

August 2. 135 mi, W. Yellowstone to Jackson

This was great day. Woke up to no wind and cool, but not cold, temperatures. The day began with a short climb of Targhee pass, our second crossing of the Divide, then, entering Idaho, we descended into wide meadows. Gentle ups and downs were guite conducive to bg gear spinning, which I did (probably 50x14 or 16 at 100 rpm). I made the first 60 mi in a shade over 3 hrs. After about 35 miles on Hwy 20, we diverted to Scenic rte 47, a good road through woods and water. We got our first, distant view of the Tetons. Spent a good bit of time ridng with Lon, talking about his projects. You should check ou the pac tour website for the work they are doing in Peru. In any case, the morning went very well, and I was a happy boy. There was a surprise descent in the middle of this, and when I rolled into Marysville, I just kept right on going, confidently making a left turn onto highway 20, aiming for lunch at mile 75; 76; 77; oops. Yes, I had missed a turn in my cycling bliss and ended up in St. Anthony, Idaho. I pulled off what by now had become a freeway, bought as sandwich at Subway and got directions from one of the locals to get myself back on the route, riding the old highway from St. Anthony to Teton, where I made it back to Hwy 33. However, my error added 25 miles on what was to be a 135 mile day. So I stuck out my thumb and got picked up by a sweet young couple who drove me up to the next SAG spot, and I was back in the group and on the road. I didn't want to miss the next feature, which was the climb and descent of teton Pass. Te last three miles on the uphill side averaged 10% but the descent was the real challenge --- 5 miles at what was called ten percent but I think was a lot steeper. Combined with a stong wind blowing, it made for some hairy moments. Nonetheless, with judicious braking and a steady hand, we all made it down to Jackson Hole and entered the faux western lifestyle for which Jackson evidently is known and loved..We stated at the Antler hotel, and I did find myself a good dinner, but the first thing I did was light Eva's yartzeit candle and say Kaddish. 11 years since her death. I still have no great reflections; I do continue to struggle with notions of forgiveness and redemption. I spoke to anne about this week's parasha and Rabbi Hyman's sermon; and I dug out the Antler's Gideon and read it. I won't go into the drash here; but I did find some interesting reading. Then to bed to face a 117 mile day.

I'm not going to write a post for tomorrow's ride; but will combine the next two days on Monday. I suspect I won't have good internet in Montpelier, Idaho. It also gets hard to do this daily. There is a lot of fussing to recover and get ready, and I need a bit of a break, especially because I'm having technical problems with my computer setup.

No comments: